November 4, 2023
Spicy Red Wine Pork Belly Bites
Spicy Red Wine Pork Belly Bites served with Roasted Honeynut Squash purée grilled over red hot Jealous Devil Charcoal.These smoked pork belly bites were marinated overnight in a spicy and sweet concoction. Place on the grill, low and slow. After they have grilled for 1-2 hours, then turn them in a spicy, caramelized red wine sauce. What can be better than Boozy bites? Serve and enjoy immediately.
- 2 lbs pork belly, cut into 2-inch squares
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayennne
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¾ cup red wine (cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir)
- ¾ cup white sugar
Prepare Pork Belly (24 hours in advance)
- Prepare pork belly by score the fat side with a knife in a crosshatch pattern.
- Mix the salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika and cayenne together in a small bowl. Then rub all over the pork belly. Wrap the pork belly tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare and heat grill to 225℉.
- Unwrap the pork belly. Cut into 2" squares and place on indirect heat. Grill for 1½-2 hours until the bites start to form a nice bark.
- Transfer the pork belly bites to a disposable aluminum pan and add orange juice, and honey. Stir to evenly coat the cubes of pork belly bites.
- Cover with foil, and return aluminum pan to the grill for another 30-60 minutes until the meat reaches 200℉.
- While the pork belly is grilling back on the grill, begin preparing the red wine caramel sauce.
- Add the red wine to a saucepan and reduce by half over medium heat. About 10 minutes.
- Add ¾ sugar in an even layer in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Heat sugar, watch it, but don't stir. When the sugar begins to melt, use a spatula to slowly stir the sugar into the melted sugar until all of the sugar has melted and is golden brown.
- Slowly, very slowly, add the hot reduced wine, stirring until the sauce turns into a rich caramel.
- Add the pork belly bites into the caramel sauce, turning them until all sides have been fully coated.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!